Sunday, January 17, 2016

Shana Sturm










Shana Sturm
Classical Homeopathy
4287 Piedmont Ave #107
Oakland 94611

I first became interested in homeopathy in my 20’s.  I was dissatisfied with my own health care. When I complained of frequent colds and flu, my doctor told me to wash my hands more. The doctor didn’t really have any tools with which to address my concerns. I ran into my doctor on BART and greeted her with a big hello but she didn’t know who I was. That was a turning point for me and I started to seek out health care that felt more holistic, personalized and real. I was introduced to homeopathic treatment and it worked well for me and changed my health for the better. I was inspired and captivated. I had to know more about this mysterious and implausible medicine! I eventually studied homeopathy at the Pacific Academy of Homeopathy in San Francisco and graduated in 2003.  


The growth of my practiced paralleled the growth of my children, also born in 2003, so my practice has naturally gravitated towards working with pregnancy, postpartum, nursing issues for mothers, infant care, children and now teens as well.  I specialize in pediatric work, as well as mastitis prevention in nursing mothers.


As my children grow  and my parents and I age, I am fascinated with the idea that a life of homeopathic care can actually strengthen the vital force over time. These days, I am thinking a lot about the homeopathic process as it applies to preventative health care over the lifetime of a person and our different stages of development.


I welcome all ages of people into my private practice in Oakland.  I do constitutional care, as well as a lot of acute care for children and nursing moms.


Case of a nursing mother with pre-mastitis symptoms:


A mother is nursing two children, one of which is a 3 month old. She has a history of horrible mastitis with the first child. 2 weeks ago she developed a plugged duct with a hard lump. One week ago she developed a cold with a cough, sore throat and body aches all over with a low- grade fever. Her right breast is warmer. The left breast feels weaker and produces less milk. The plug feels gone but the right breast is tender and at night she experienced a shooting pain deep in the breast which went up into the armpit.  

My prescription  was Phytolacca 1M every hour until symptom free.  I also prescribed total rest, lots of hot showers or baths and fully draining both breasts when nursing.   Mastitis is an incredibly fast-paced infection which needs very close monitoring by any homeopath. I ask clients to check in with me as frequently as once an hour for follow up.  Homeopathy is frequently an effective solution and will keep a mother’s nursing efforts alive longer than the road of antibiotics (which very frequently result in secondary problems which end up terminating the nursing all together). This case, like many, cleared within a day although close follow up for several days is best.  She went on to successfully nurse the two children.  

No comments:

Post a Comment